Fong Ilagan, LLP

Permanent Residence

What is Permanent Residency?

A permanent resident, commonly referred to as a green card holder, is an individual who has been granted the right to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. The family law experts at Fong Ilagan are here to help you indicate which visa is best to help you receive a green card and to assist through each and every step of the process. The average processing time can take up to over a year. We understand that waiting this long is not always an ideal option for you or your family. With Fong Ilagan in the picture, we can work closely with you to ensure that your application qualifies and that you receive access to the United States in no time. 


In order to be considered for permanent residence in the United States, you must be able to meet the following criteria:

  • Be eligible for one of the immigrant categories listed in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
  • Have petition filed and approved for you
  • Have an immigrant visa immediately available
  • Granted admittance to the United States 

The process of obtaining permanent residency depends on:

  • If you are currently living in the Unites States, the process of filing is through adjustment status.
  • If you are currently living outside the United States, the process of filing is gone through consular processing.

As a permanent resident of the United States, you are granted specific rights with respect to your status. Your rights include: 

  • Live permanently in the United States so long as you do not commit any crimes or actions that may remove you under immigration law.
  • Work in the Unites States for any legal work that you are eligible to work.
  • Protected by all of laws in the United States, state of residence and local laws.

It is important that you get in touch with USCIS as soon as you have lost your green card in order to request a replacement.