Fong Ilagan, LLP

Employment Visas

What Is A Employment Visa?

An employment visa is where a foreign national who is allowed to work for a set period of time for a certain employer. There are a variety of temporary employment-based visas that you can apply for depending on your circumstances.


  • H-1B: For certain highly skilled individuals in specialty occupations
  • H-2A: For temporary agricultural workers
  • H-2B: For temporary, seasonal, non-agricultural workers
  • L-1: For intra-company transfers
  • O-1: For individuals with “extraordinary ability”
  1. EB-1: For individuals with extraordinary ability; recognized professors and researchers; and multinational managers and executives
  2. EB-2: For individuals who hold an advanced degree
  3. EB-3: For professionals and skilled workers
  4. EB-4: For “special immigrants” including certain religious workers, those who work in U.S. foreign service posts, retired employees of international organizations, and other specialty classes
  5. EB-5: For business investors who $1 million (or $500,000 in certain cases) in a commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 U.S. workers on a full-time basis

The visa application can be done online and you will collect specific documents that will be needed at your interview. Interviews are required for applicants between the ages of 17 and 79. You can schedule an interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Visa processing times may vary, but as soon as you receive it, you will be granted permission to enter the United States. You can extend your stay when you work in compliance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).