Fong Ilagan, LLP

Family Immigration

What is Family Immigration

Fong Ilagan has years of experience in consulting with U.S. citizens to help them sponsor their families into the country. When it comes to immigration issues, you’re going to need a dependable and highly-reviewed advocate from a local law firm.

Our family immigration lawyers are fluent in many languages and are the best professionals you can find to assist you throughout the visa process.

When you come into our office for your initial consultation, you’ll come to find that we top others in regards to family immigration. We answer your questions to the best of our ability, provide quality advice, and offer our reliable presence in your interview and more. Get started with a highly-rated law firm to move your family into the U.S. with you! 


There are two groups that are eligible for family visas. The two groups are broken up into immediate relatives and family preferences. Immediate relatives include:

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Unmarried children under 21 
  • Orphans adopted abroad 
  • Parents of U.S citizens who are at least 21 

Family preference categories include:

  • Unmarried children over 21
  • Married children of U.S. citizens
  • Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens 

If you have any other questions regarding if your family member is an immediate relative or a family preference, we can assist.

Just one step short of citizenship, being a green card holder grants you permanent residency in the U.S. green card holders are allowed to live and work permanently in the country. To be eligible for a green card through family, you must:

  • Be an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen – this includes spouses, unmarried children under age 21, and the parents of U.S. citizens age 21 and older
  • Be related to a lawful permanent resident
  • Be the fiancé of a U.S. citizen or the child of a U.S. citizen’s fiancé
  • Be the widow(er) of a U.S. citizen
  • Be a victim of battery or abuse who is the spouse or relative of a U.S. citizen

Applying for a green card is easier with the help of a Houston immigration attorney from Fong Ilagan. We can help you put together an application and overcome any roadblocks along the way.

The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa given to the foreign-citizen fiancés of U.S. citizens. Individuals who are granted this visa are allowed to enter the U.S. and marry their U.S. citizen fiancé within 90 days. Once married, the K-1 visa holder may apply for permanent residency. Any children of the K-1 visa holder may also enter the U.S. with a K-2 visa.

In order to qualify for a K-1 visa, you must:

  • Be legally able to marry at the time of filing
  • Have met your fiancé in person within the last two years (with some exceptions)
  • Have evidence of your relationship with the U.S. citizen sponsoring you
  • Complete all necessary application paperwork
  • Pay required application fees

If you are seeking a fiancé visa, our Houston immigration attorneys can help you understand the necessary steps in the application process. We can help you compile solid evidence and build a strong application.

Intercountry adoption is a complex process that allows a U.S. citizen to adopt someone living in a foreign country. The USCIS offers three processes through which someone can immigrate to the U.S. on the basis of adoption:

  • The Hague Process
    This process allows a U.S. citizen to adopt a child who lives in a country that is party to the Hague Intercountry Adoption Convention.
  • The Orphan Process
    This process allows a U.S. citizen to adopt a child who lives in a country that is not party to the Hague Intercountry Adoption Convention
  • Immediate Relative Process
    This process allows a U.S. citizen to adopt a child under certain circumstances – the adoptive child or adult is considered an adopting parent’s child if he/she was adopted before turning 16 or if the adopting parent had legal and physical custody of the child for at least two years while the child was a minor

When it comes to intercountry adoption, every case varies widely and requires the careful attention of a skilled immigration attorney. The team at Fong Ilagan can assess your situation and determine which process is best suited for your family.